Spartan Scroll V - Coach Ed Koester
Labor Day, the last ditch day to catch a day off before the fall harvest began. Too bad the harvest is upon and now Labor Day is means labor. A few years back while working and preparing for the coming weeks game a young coach gasped "I can't believe we're working on Labor Day" an experience old hand on the staff said what are you suppose to do on Labor Day it's named labor.
Each and everyday our coaches and players are doing something to get ready for the next opponent, the next day, the next game. Also everyday I see faith parents volunteering time and energy to help the Spartan cause.
The jobs are far too numerous to list or mention; unfortunately the names of those doing or getting those jobs done is short and could easily be included in this edition.
As Spartans we all have some talent or even more importantly some energy we could contribute. Recently a dad recovering from a medical condition spent the afternoon mowing. This speaks volumes of the type of people we have in our community. We could stand to see more of this your out there, the needs are evident, don't be afraid, step up help carry the shield.
The new turf is great and you would have to agree it looked spectacular last Friday as we defeated the Yellow Jackets, and it has eliminated a large amount of work each week. We still have things to do. We will have to mow and paint occasionally the practice field, we a pumpkin garden that needs weeding and watering, a concession stand to man, signs to hang, Flags to fly, spirit wear to sell, youth and Jr. gates to monitor, this list is only partially the activities that need parent support.
There is constant maintenance that falls to our responsibility to keep up with, and there are a few major tasks that are requiring our Spartan effort.
- Stats have become a vital part of todays game for many reasons. We need someone who can keep them in a special format that is compatible with several internet media.
- We have the equipment to film games from the end zone a great teaching tool for improving our play. We need someone who can perform this weekly task at home games.
- We can use wireless video on the sidelines and in the booth under todays rules. We need someone who can film every week from the press-box with our coaches.
- There are couple small tasks we need to improve our field house and could use some help with. This requires some one with some internet cable knowledge.
- We are looking for a licensed electrician who can work within the PCSD guidelines to install lights in our pavilion.
- We are also going the need the same electrical help in getting a scoreboard installed on the practice field.
Most of all we could use every parent to lend a hand so those that have spent countless hours over the last month doing all the necessary tasks to step in and give them a break.
In over 3 decades of coaching I have never enjoyed the kind of great people you are in the Spartan Community, the accomplishments we have made and the challenges that lay ahead are small potatoes compared with the great people who take the time to spend some time volunteering to accomplish something for the benefit of all. I would encourage each of you to schedule as little as 2 or 3 hours a week or every other week to help out.
Spartans "TOGETHER WE SHIELD"